Friday, February 28, 2014

Food - Don't over complicate it

OK, so this will be a bit different from my normal bloggin.

Today is about food.  Now I don't normally get into this subject, cause I don't think it is really that complicated.  There are many different schools of thought.  And there are many different "Diets"

Now let me clear something up first... I am not on a "diet", you know one of those calorie restricting things or you only eat one food or those packaged food things.  Sure I have tried those in the past and like most everyone, they do not work.  They are not made for a normal everyday life, you know the long term.  I like to eat and I like good food that tastes good.  It's all about eating and being Healthy.

What I am talking about is a way of life diet, I know what your thinkin... he just said he isn't on a "diet".  Well I'm not... but let's look at what the word originated from...

The word diet comes from Old French diete and Medieval Latin dieta meaning "a daily food allowance". The Latin word diaeta and Greek word diaita mean "a way of life, a regimen".

So now that I have gotten that out of the way let's move on...

So sure I have changed the way I eat and changed some of the things that I eat.  You may have seen me post things about GF & DF and Non-GMO (Gluten Free & Dairy Free (cow dairy), Genetically Modified Organism).  And I am more aware of what I eat, do I slip up on occasion, sure, but I do not beat myself up over it.  The only one that I am hurting is myself, and I deal with it and move on and get back to what I know is right and good for me.

So what do I eat?  And why do I choose to do this?  I'm eating real food.  Basically the stuff on the perimeter of the grocery store, most of the stuff in the middle is all processed and has words on it that most of us have no idea what they are, you know the chemicals.  Another source that I go to on the weekends are the local farmers markets, they are typically your best source for real food.  Once I started to eat clean I started to feel better.  I did start DDPYoga the same time, and it is thanks to DDPYoga that I began to really learn about the food I am eating.  So with those combinations my body started to change, and still is.

Now I am not a label, or in a "category" of eaters, but I have found that my choices have slipped into the "Paleo" world, but not completely.  There are TONS of resources out there for you to educated yourself.  I have and continue to learn more and more about the foods I eat and where they come from and how they are grown.  Some things you would be shocked to find out, as I was.  It is just time to open our eyes up so we know what we are putting into our bodies.  But that is a choice for you to make for yourself.  I have made mine and I feel better than I did before . (I have listed some resources at the end of this for you(for me too).

Now I am not one to write recipes, there are plenty of resources out there for that and plenty of people already publishing and republishing them all the time.  And yes my brother is a Chef.  But I like to experiment and try different things and see what happens.  I think I get that from my Mom.  Growing up she was pretty good at wingin it.  But something else Mom always said growin up is to make sure your plate was colorful, the more colors on your plate the better it is.  Sure I will follow a recipe from time to time.  But there is no need to overcomplicate it... It's just food.  And it is meant to fuel your body, not to be a crutch or a blanket.

So educate yourself and learn what you are putting into your body.  if you put the right things in your body, you may get rid of some of the dangerous things we all have ingested for too many years.  Oh and if the place you're getting your food has a drive thru and the food comes in a bag, you may just want to drive on by.  Believe me, I use to be that guy that ate 1-3 meals a day from those places.  And the majority of that food is not real, and will not fix anything in side of you.  But it will clog something and weigh you down as the scale keeps going up.

Ya I know it is starting to get a bit preachy...so I will wrap this one up.  Just know that the food we eat today is not the same food they ate 30-40 years ago, you know the stuff our grandparents ate.

Know what you are eatin, and if you don't know what it's contents are then you probably don't need to be eatin it.

Below are a few sources I use for recipes. and to help educate myself... But look for yourself, the more you learn the better you will be. 

Have a great day... and you know what to do....
Own YOUR Life
The list of links below are just some of the resources that I learn from.  I am not associated with any of these sites, though some are TEAM DDPYoga members and you will recognize them.  I pull from a bunch of different resources to find what works for me.
















This is one of the movies you need to watch! (Food Inc)


3 comments:

  1. What are your favorite on the go snacks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My on the go snacks are some the same as my at home snacks. But before I snack on anything I am drinking water first. I always have my water bottle with me. Oh and to keep me interested in the water, I add either a lil Mio or Dasani flavor to it. For me I had to make a special water bottle so that I would do it more often. Anyways, before I snack I will drink my water first, usually I'm not hungry, I'm just thirsty.
      OK back to you question....here are some of my "on the go snacks":
      -Almonds, I always have a big bag of hem, BUT I break it down to smaller bags, and I limit them to around a dozen at a time. The trick for me is to eat them one at a time.
      -Fruit, a bannana, green apples, are two of my favorites.
      -Carrots, I always have carrots around
      -Dried fruit, either make it yourself, or get the real stuff, not the over processed sugar coated crap.
      -Kind bars or LaraBar, just be sure to read the labels and pick the right ones.
      Those are my base ones, the almonds there is always a sandwich bag filled with them in the car since I do drive a bit for work.
      And one other that I always have is Chia seeds, I add a tablespoon or two to my water, they help fill a void, and they are a super food, that I add to a lot of stuff.
      Hope that helps,

      Delete
  2. it is the best website for all of us. it provides all types of software and apps which we need. you can visit this website.

    https://cracksmod.org/

    ReplyDelete