Friday, March 28, 2014

CY goodness Soup

So I am no chef by any stretch of the word, that is what my brother does for a living.  I'm just a guy that likes to cook.  And that usually entails without a recipe, something I get from my Mom.  But that doesn't mean I don't look at them from time to time and as Dallas says... "make it your own".

I like to keep things simple.  You know quick and easy, without a lot of fuss and very little mess.  You've seen some of my smoothie concocktions.  I will set up a tab in here for the ones that I do document.  I'm a very visual person so a picture is worth a thousand words, but I am also a wordy person, thus the blog.  It's probably because of what I do with graphics and pictures.  10 years as a Navy Photographer will do that.

Anyways... Back to it.  Eating healthy is not difficult, we just like to think it is.  And eatin healthy is NOT expensive, that is a myth that needs to go away!  Sure I could have opened up a can of whatever, nuked it and ate it.  But what was in that 2 dollar can?  Do I really know what I just ate?  Do you know what half of that stuff is?  I know I don't, and I am pretty sure I don't want to Google each item and try to figure out what it is.  Sure I have eaten that stuff for years, just like a bunch of you have.  But this is another part of my journey, my lifestyle with DDPYoga.  Learning about what I am puttin into my body.  I know... get on with it already...

So yes I am a simple/single guy, I like to BBQ, and I like one pot meals.  That may be from Boy Scouts and the Navy, but it's efficient.

Anyways I have done this one several times before and I add and subtract stuff to it.  But this is the base recipe that I use.  If you want to add some GF noodles, maybe some meat or potatoes you can, I have in the past, and it is just as good.  But one thing I have found is don't be afraid to add something to it.  It's your creation, and YOU know what you are puttin in it, and remember.... "Make it your own, Have fun with it".

So here ya go... You can either follow the pictures or the recipe below, but remember you can always wing it!

Ingredients:
  • 1 head of cabbage
  • *Sweet peppers (colorful ones)
  • *2 Onions
  • 4 Celery stalks
  • 4 Carrots 
  • 1 Garlic bulb (I like garlic)
  • 2 Apples (I used green today)
  • Cilantro
  • Peppercorns (wrapped in a paper towel)
  • Water about 2 quarts or enough to cover
*I personally did not like these items, well I didn't before I cleaned up my diet and stopped eating all the crap I use to.  Now I cook with them all the time.

OK here ya go...hold on cause this gets complicated <---sarcasm
  1. Onions, peppers, garlic all get chopped or crushed in the food processor then they get dumped in the pot on pretty high heat and simmer them down.  Probably about 5-8 minutes.
  2. While you are simmering that stuff above, get to choppin.
  3. Celery first, once you have that chopped up, in the pot it goes.
  4. Carrots are next.  Chop them up however you like, I like small circles, then in the pot they go.
  5. At this point you may want to add about a quart of water, or you can add some stock I usually keep some "Better than Bouillon" around and use that.  (and yes it is CF organic and GF)
  6. Then you need to chop up the cabbage.  Just chop it up and in the pot it goes
  7. My secret ingredient... apples.  Ya I know it may sound strange, but it works. Just chop them up into lil bits and in the pot they go, skin and all.
  8. Finally I take the peppercorns and pour them into a paper towel, twist it, wet it, twist some more and hang it inside the pot. 
  9. Top off with water and let it cook on medium heat for about 4-5 hours, stir it from time to time too.
  10. You can add whatever seasonings you like to it, just don't over do it.  I do NOT add any salt to mine. 
This will make a big pot of soup that will last several days.  You can let it cool and can it, or put it in zip lock bags and freeze it.

This is really good for you and tastes really good.

Oh and are you ready for this .... total cost is less than $10


Remember You are worth more than the crap that is in the cans at the grocery store!

1 comment:

  1. Oooooo...so simple and looks delicious! I just might cook this up on Sunday! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete